Tuesday, February 8, 2011

FOOD TRUCKIN' IN 7 COURSES - MELROSE FIRST THURSDAYS

Ready. Set. Go. Three blocks of food trucks ahead!
Don't have time to stand in lunch rush lines just to fight over the last truffle fries with a top exec who needs his food truck fix? Find yourself pulling up to a food truck just as it's pulling away, and then realize that in order to not miss dinner AGAIN you must stare at Twitter hoping to catch the next spontaneous location tweet? Well...while the scavenger hunting of food trucks was fun for a while....the idea of food truck rallies is genius. And the trendy fashionistas on Melrose have decided to bring the block party every first Thursday of the month so you can get all your food truckin' goodness in one place. 

I didn't mean to eat seven courses. It was absolutely NOT my intention. But a funny thing happens when you start walking down a street lined with mobile kitchens representing a variety of countries and intersperse various comfort food along the way. These whirling, delicious aromas are going to draw you in. You won't be able to stop yourself. When I arrived on Melrose just as the trucks opened for business,  I vowed that this wouldn't happen to me. I'd hit a couple of trucks and I'd be gone. And first up was the DIM SUM TRUCK. 
The window to Pork Bun heaven

I was craving Pork Buns. I took the recommendation of the staff and tried the baked, as opposed to steamed. For the reasonable price of $4, I was given two good-sized pork buns, soft and sweet on the outside, tender and hearty on the inside. A very tasty way to start and equally tasty complimentary sesame ball (a little promotion for Melrose Thursdays) that left me wanting more. 
Baked Pork Buns
Duck Taco & Steamed Pork Buns
And so...more I had. Steamed pork buns, a Peking duck taco and well, a couple more sesame balls. How could food this good be coming from a truck? It was fresh, delicious and again...affordable. For about $10 bucks I had already eaten enough food to send me home. But oh wait! Is that the Buttermilk Truck up ahead??

A grin that says, "You can eat 6 more pancakes. I know you can"

Why hello Buttermilk Truck. It's been a while. The last time we rendezvoused was right here on Melrose last year. You had that cute grin. I ate french toast sticks, pancake bites and then you teased me with those Hawaiian sliders. And then for weeks I couldn't get you out of my mind. I tried to hunt you down but you were spending all your time in Santa Monica and El Segundo. Forgetting all about that sweet night we had together. At last, we are reunited. And I'll have some chicken and waffles.



Chicken & Waffles
I'm not sure what the secret ingredient is in their batter that gives such a flavorful crispy coating to the chicken but its this miracle batter that also keeps the boneless chicken tenders staying juicy. Add these with a house-made cinnamon waffle and you've got my stomach growling while I type this. I know people in this town swear by certain LA "chicken and waffle" houses but this dish from that smiling Buttermilk kid serves up some mean competition. Did I mention that it's only $7? 

Nothing priced over $5!!
I had just travelled from China to American Comfort Food in a matter of 20 minutes and was about to end my night when I saw, just 15 feet ahead of me, a truck that, since it made it's appearance on The Great Food Truck Race,  has been hard to keep on my radar. The Nom Nom Truck. A clever business venture by two female UCLA business students who wanted to take Vietnamese mainstream. And I hear the Banh Mi is the thing to get. How can I pass this up?
Pork Banh Mi

Ok, I didn't know that the Banh Mi was going to be as large as their pick-up window. But, if eating with eyes is this good, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like to bite into this baby. If you are wondering what the heck a Banh Mi sandwich is, here's a little Banh Mi 101 while I chew: You take a baguette with a nice crusty outside, stuff it with fresh cilantro, sweet and tangy marinated carrots and daikon radish, add your BBQ pork (or if you prefer, lemongrass chicken), thinly sliced cucumbers, jalapenos (if you like kick) and mayo. The amount of time it took you to read that, it took me to wolf down this massive size sandwich. It was sweet, salty, spicy, pickled and tasty. It was the kind of thing you could carry around with you and gnaw on all day. I don't remember the last time I only spent $5 for a sandwich, nevermind one this amazing. I patted my stomach. Even though I felt like I had a Banh Mi baby inside me, I smiled. I heart Nom Nom. I can now leave this food truck rally completely satisfied. SNIFF SNIFF. No, I can't. SNIFF SNIFF. Is that? It couldn't be. SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF. India? Is that you on the corner of Melrose & Stanley? Ugh...maybe just one samosa.

A little masala on Melrose
Samosa
Sweet Potato Dosa
Coconut Bananas
And there she was -- the Dosa Truck. I attempted to avoid the menu. "I'll just have one samosa." But the sweet woman in the order window looked at me like she knew there was no way I could only eat ONE SAMOSA with the smell of those dosas cooking up. "Oh...well....maybe also a Sita'sSita's Special, a sweet potato dosa (crepe) with masala sauce. It too was extremely flavorful and a nice palate pleaser after the "heat" of the fiery appetizer. While I couldn't wait to dig into my coconut banana dessert, once I did, I found it not to be as enjoyable as the other items. I love coconut and I love bananas. But the dish lacked a little flavor and its milky nature kept the texture flat. It didn't matter though. I had flavor pops all over my taste buds and if I had ANY room left I would have ordered the Masala Fries. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE! MASALA FRIES! Again, pure genius. 

As I stepped away from the truck, I eyed the destruction I had left in my path. All the trucks I had stopped at. All the food I had eaten. It really must have been divine intervention that kept me from not leaving Melrose in a stretcher. Of course, not from inedible food but from some of the most delicious kitchens riding the streets of LA everyday. I waved goodbye to the tasty block that treated me so well and pulled out my keys. I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Would you like to try a sesame ball?" I stared at the perfect golden ball of goodness in front of me, "Oh, ok...maybe just one." 


FOR SCHEDULE AND MORE INFO: MELROSE NIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment